Wednesday, May 16, 2007

me and my still indelible ink-stained finger


Two days after the elections….

On election day, votes are pegged from as low as P50 to as high as P1,500.

I was waiting for someone to approach me as I was on my way to my polling place last Monday. You know, like offer me unlimited access to all the services of Profiles salon in Katipunan for free. Or a new pair of Seven jeans. Or a cocktail ring from Firma. In exchange for my vote.

Fat chance.

It was only the guard at the gate of Bel-air village who stopped me to ask where I was going. I told him I was going to vote. He asked for my voter’s ID. I didn’t have the ID yet at that time. I showed him my UP ID instead. He let me in! (No, I didn’t show him my biceps.)

Oh yeah, I am a registered voter in Makati. In my past life, I was a 22 year old bureaucrat, who lived in a 32nd floor condo at Salcedo Village with friends and whose blood is 90% Starbucks coffee.

My voting precinct is at the very posh Bel-Air village basketball court. Where everyone who voted was dropped off by a Jaguar/ BMW/ Land Rover/ Expedition and looked and smelled good.

Except me. My Roxy slippers got me there before lunch and I looked like a flying voter from Tondo and I smelled of sweat.

But what the heck. I wasn’t there to party. Or to date. (Although it wouldn’t hurt if I get the chance to have dinner with any of the taglish speaking, havaianas wearing, ipod toting hotties who voted the same time I did!) I was there to exercise my right to choose. I was there to fulfill my obligation as a citizen of this country. (yeah, yeah half citizen.)

***

I had seven senators on my list, and as far the quick counts are concerned, five of them are on the top six. And of course, the Binays are still on top of the heap in my city. (yahoo!)

As I was going thru yesterday’s news though, I came up with some thoughts/comments/brain farts:

On Garci conceding to defeat in Bukidnon
I’ve always wondered why he would even come down from his pedestal and run as congressman. I mean, being kingmaker, Garci is like god who is worshipped and lavished with offerings by GMA. And now he says he is losing. My guess is, it’s all a ploy to show that, hey, if Garci, the so-called grand operator can’t win as district rep, how the heck was he able manipulate the 2004 elections?

On Palace protest on the media quickcounts
Gabby Claudio whined that the quick counts are pointed towards trending and mind conditioning. Is it because the candidates of GO are doing well in these quick counts?

On the decline of number of registered voters in Metro Manila
I haven’t checked the latest population growth as well as the migration rate in NCR. But it is surprising. Is it because Manila residents are too jaded to vote since they were duped in 2004? I mean, except for Las Pinas, da King is president in all of NCR. Or is this another effort of the current regime to understate voting population in areas favoring the Opposition?

***
Yeah, yeah, me and my assertions from out of nowhere. What do they call that? Political instincts? Me being stupid? Whatevs.
***

I did a survey of friends and about half of us voted, while one fourth didn’t get to register and one fourth just couldn’t care less.

Well I wouldn’t blame those who didn’t get to register since registering is a nightmare. I remember when Sarah and I lined up at the Makati Comelec at 4AM to register. The place was hot, dark and has actually become a living thing with all the people breathing and sweating inside. We finished by lunch time. I’m posting my voter’s ID to show how I looked by the time we finished. DON’T LAUGH.




one. happy. voter.



I also understand why the others didn’t bother voting. Someone would cheat anyway. Someone would steal anyway. Someone would lie anyway. As proven in the Hello Garci scandal.

For many of those struggling to keep their body and soul together, the election process is irrelevant as the reforms and favors promised to them are forgotten soon after the candidate finishes the line “so help me God” in his oath taking.

Sad but true.

***
Last week, a friend who is very much aware that I am for the Opposition asked if I was going to vote. I said yes. He then said I shouldn’t bother voting because I have already pre-judged the credibility of this election by writing about my paranoia of the possible cheating. Moreso, I wouldn’t believe naman daw the results pag natalo ang GO.

I was stunned for a second. No not stunned, annoyed. Extremely annoyed. I wanted to shove my pink sliver down his throat, but if I did, I would be violating his right to freedom of self expression. (Yeah, remind me to declare martial law and suspend the writ of habeas corpus when I become president.)

My emotions clouded my thoughts then, I could only declare a cold war. Two days after I voted, I now have an answer to his questions:

As what my idol, Ninoy Aquino said nga, "How shall freedom be defended? By arms when it is attacked by arms; by truth when it is attacked by lies, by democratic faith when it is attacked by authoritarian dogma. Always and in the final act, by determination and faith."

Yes, I do not trust the COMELEC. I do not trust the current regime to keeps its hands off the elections. I am not even sure what will become of my chosen candidates if and when they get elected because power corrupts.

But my exercising of my right to choose leaders is my way of showing determination. Determination to fight for better government-- a government that does not abuse its powers, that spends funds wisely and legally, that upholds rather than violates the rights of our people.

My casting of vote is my act of faith. Faith in God, in this country and faith that there is a better life out there for every Pinoy.

I just hope I don't get too tired.






No comments: