Monday, May 28, 2007

technology and the many splendored things

You know the song Unchained Melody?

It has this line: “And time goes by so slowly, and time can do so much…”

THE. SONG. IS. A. LIE.

A few blogs ago, I was only celebrating the arrival of summer. Now it is almost over.

I haven’t even been to the beach.

Haven't worn that blue bikini except when I tried it on at the boutique.

Haven't lazed on a hammock while sipping my all time favorite coconut-mango shake.

And it has started to rain.

And I haven't been getting enough sleep again because of the thunder and lightning at night.

***

In the many nights that I cannot sleep, I just sit up on my bed and listen to the pouring rain. As I wait for the rain and the thunder and lightning to go away, I realize that most of my troubles begin with a yes.

Yes, I will do that for you.

Yes, I like you, here's my heart and soul-- grind it into hamburger--enjoy!

Yes, I think I can handle a course in Open U.

And then I get something like this:






The approval of my appointment as senior lecturer at the Open U.

Wait, for those of you who are wondering what this Open U yadi yadi business is about, please read below:

The University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) was established on 23 February 1995 as the fifth constituent university of the University of the Philippines System.

Its mandate is to provide education opportunities to individuals aspiring for higher education and improved qualifications but who are unable to take advantage of traditional modes of education.

Specifically, the UPOU provides quality higher and continuing education to Filipinos through distance education. Its mission is to give its students formal qualification, as well as to develop in them the discipline and capability to become lifelong learners who are at home in today's knowledge society.

The goals of the UPOU are to:

Offer through open and distance learning degree and non-degree programs that are responsive to the needs of learners and of the society of which they are a part;

Develop a system of continuing education to sustain professional growth and promote lifelong learning;

Develop and adapt delivery systems appropriate to distance learners;

Provide leadership in the development of open learning and distance education expertise in the country and in the appropriate use of information and communication technologies of education; and

Make instructional packages accessible to various publics through collaborative arrangements, institutional agreements, and other appropriate mechanisms.

The Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) has declared the UPOU theNational Center of Excellence in Open Learning and Distance Education in recognition of its achievements in this field and its vital role in pushing the frontiers of learning in service to the Filipino nation.

(For more info, please log on to www.upou.edu.ph)

The fact that my appointment was signed by the Chancellor and that UPOU has been declared by CHED as a National Center for Excellence in Open Learning and Distance Education jolted me to take my teaching stint seriously.

Err...well, except the salary. That-- that is a joke.

Last Friday, I attended the workshop for Faculty. (Side story: At the workshop, one of the experts happened to be a family friend. I went up to him and introduced myself. And he said: "Ikaw pala yung G.H. Ambat. Bata ka lang dati ah. When did you finish journ? Two years ago?" Hehe. I still look 22 and I'm still the undisputed teenage dirtbag. )

This year, Open U is introducing the MOODLE learning system. They've used IVLE in the past. This learning system is way astig pare. Like, galing. I wish I could explain how it works, but my brain cells (numbering two and a half at the moment) have other problems to think of.

Actually, just one problem.

After my initial survey of available literature for Public Management 241-- Introduction to Public Policy and Program Administration, I forgot about the course entirely.

I wasted the summer weeks pity partying because bohoo-- I still can't find that new job that would give me 35K a month (but I know it will come soon! not in Iraq I hope!) and swimming in the filthy sea of Philippine elections and politics and show business.

The last two weeks, I spent studying the 2008 budget and dining and hanging out at the newly opened Trinoma. (More about this new haven soon).

The bosses at Open U said that my class site should be up and running by the end of May because my unsuspecting students will be logging on by June 2.

I, together with the winning candidates all said: " So help me God."

Welcome to learning in the 21st century. Classrooms have no walls, desks and blackboards. Readings come in kilobytes, not pages. And a post teeanage dirtbag with serious difficulty in time management is faculty in charge for management and development studies.

No comments: