Wednesday, December 5, 2007

because saying "i died!" won't be enough


change the world. social entrepreneurship.

my three brain cells were over working to digest these concepts while i was having cocktails with a couple of interesting people at the asia society and philippines 21 event.








then this guy, asked me if my name is really just g.h.

normally, i would roll my eyes and say "umm... yeah..." and depending on my temperament, my body language would convey-- now drop it.

but it was different last night. i was willing to give this person a professorial lecture on why i have two letters and two periods for a first name and how the church and government accepted it and how people have been harassing me since kindergarten (that was 13 years ago) because of my name. and oh yeah, about other things, like my parents' phone number in case he decides to ask my hand in marriage.


talk about being swept off my feet. or in last night's case, being swept off my stilletos.

"oh yes, g.h. is my name. just g.h."


"does it mean anything? grace?"

"no. it's my dad's initials actually."


"oh."


in my mind, i was going shet, think fast of what else to say, don't let him go yet.

"by the way, i haven't congratulated you."


"for what?"


"for being the outstanding alumnus of NCPAG this year."


"oh, so you're from NCPAG."


"yeah. actually, i was supposed to be the one to nominate you but i was too shy to interview you. so it was tita liling who finally accomplished and submitted your nomination."


"really, why were you shy?"


at that point, i was like, "why am i shy? can't you see i am stuterring and hyperventillating here. you're too gwapo for me to handle."


but of course i didn't say that. i said something lame-r.


"umm... kasi you were busy." (eek. lame-o right?)


"oh well. so let's toast to that." (raised his goblet (?) of wine)


"cheers." (i clinked my goblet with his.)
smile smile smile smile smile smile smile.....
i told him i work at this government institution. i had to restrain myself from telling him that in case he runs for the senate in 2010, can i be part of his team?


for a few heartbeats, we talked about my favorite subject in the whole wide universe, which i also guess is his favorite subject-- politics.


"who knows, V might be president after all." he said.


"that is, if R lets him be president, or G."


"lets him be president." he laughed.


shoot, i can go on hearing that laughter, seeing those dimples, and i will, not even for a second get tired of it.


then the cliche--some good things never last-- had to happen. time to switch to other people--err talk to other people.


i swear, if i had three most favorite moments in my life and i'll be allowed to go back to them, i would be back at the ayala musuem lobby, at the asia society event, in my stilletos.


who was the guy?




photo from chuvaness


adel tamano.

now you understand why i just can't say "i died" to tell the story.

but yeah, i died.

1 comment:

Bikolanang Magayon said...

korek girl. that guy is really gwapo...hmmn, i'm sure oks lang sayo pag yan ang mang-harass sayo! :P