Monday, June 18, 2007

crap gets crappier

Being the second rate, trying hard, copy cat that I am, let me, once again, borrow a line of Carrie Bradshaw.

Think about it. If you are single, after graduation there isn't one occasion where people celebrate you ... Hallmark doesn't make a "congratulations, you didn't marry the wrong guy" card. And where's the flatware for going on vacation alone?

****

When you're 27 and still single (single again and again and again and again), well meaning friends and scheming frenemies place a ticking bomb above your head, which they have set to go off when you hit the big 3-0.

***

So M and I, over a game of air hockey at timezone, finally decided to just chill at the moment and wait for the universe to unfold and reveal what we had was all about.

Hmmm....Another one bites the dust.

***

Anyway, Shella, on our drive back to Manila yesterday, was planning to set me up with a friend of her boyfriend.

I know, I know. It's another "Aw gawd... she's so freaking pathetic-- her friends have to set her up with someone so she can have a date" moment.

Um... yeah. The past few months, I am pathetic, I am lazy and at the moment I'm not as interested in dating whoever (unless he gives me the all new CRV) because I am already spreading myself a bit too thinly. I mean, you know, I have my job hunting, my advocacies, my teaching stint, my growing obsession for the 2008 US presidential elections, my family and my friends to juggle.

Sensing my disinterest, Shella asked: "what are you looking for ba in a guy?" And then I remember this survey what makes a perfect boyfriend that found its way to my yahoo. I'm posting it below:

RELATIONSHIP STYLE


What's the most important quality in a boyfriend?
Looks
Intelligence
Sense of Humor
Sweetness
Being great in bed
Financial and career success

When it comes to expressing his feelings, you'd ideally want a guy to be the type who…

If he’s not much of a talker, what’s the best way for him to communicate his feelings?
Buy me a thoughtful gift that shows how well he knows me.
Give me a sweet kiss or hug out of the blue.
Just say, “I love you” sometimes.
Compliment me on a unique quality

If you’ve had a bad day, the best thing he could do for you would be…
Make dinner
Sit and listen to you vent
Stay out of your way
Plan something fun to do

Do you want him to be affectionate in public?
Nah, that’s kind of annoying.
I’d like him to be able to hold my hand or give me a quick kiss, but I don’t need more attention than that.
If the mood strikes, I want him to grab me and really kiss me.

When it comes to compliments, you most want to hear:
How hot you are
How cool you are
How smart you are
Why he loves you
What makes you unique
Why you’re the best girlfriend he’s ever had

If he were to plan a weekend away, you’d want him to arrange for you to...
Stay at a cute hotel or inn nearby
Go to a place where a bikini is mandatory
Go on a road trip or adventure
Go camping or do something outdoorsy

How take charge do you want him to be?
I like feeling girlie, so I want him to take charge most of the time.
I want him to be a gentleman, but I still like having a say on things.
I’m so independent, I prefer to take care of everything myself.
It pisses me off when guys try to tell me what to do.

What’s the best way for a guy to calm you down during a relationship dispute?
He should just give in completely.
He should be willing to talk it out and make some effort to compromise.
If he makes me laugh, it’ll diffuse the situation and help me see his side.
He should give me the time and space to calm down

When he plans a date night, he should most often go for...
Romance: A nice dinner at an elegant restaurant works
Easy: A relaxed meal at a neighborhood bistro, maybe a movie.
Adventure: You prefer adrenaline-pumping activities
Fun: You're a big kid at heart so you'd rather play arcade games or karaoke.

When it comes to planning your social schedule, you’d rather...
He organize the majority of the plans
Share in the responsibilities.
Take control of the social planning yourself.

How ambitious do you want him to be?
I want a real go-getter who works his butt off, even if it means putting in long hours.
I’d like for him to be doing reasonably well in his field, but I’d rather he was home at night.
I don’t care what he does as long as he treats me well.

If you make more money than him, how do you want expenses handled?
He should just let me pay more for certain things and make it up to me in other ways
I think we should split costs on stuff without making a big deal about it.
I still think he should be the one wining and dining me.

How much effort should a guy put into looking good for you?
A quick shower and shave is all he needs.
Every guy should use hair product and have some sort of skin regime.
I think a guy should spend almost as much time primping as women do.

If a guy in a bar said something rude to you, you’d want your guy to...
Beat the crap out of him
Defend your honor with words
Pull you away from the situation
Play it strong and silent and just create a barrier between you and the guy

Would any of the following personality traits be a deal-breaker for you when considering a relationship with a man? Please answer yes or no for each.

He’s always late
yes
no
He talks to too many exes
yes
no
He’s too flirty
yes
no
He lacks ambition
yes
no
He’s socially shy
yes
no
He’s not friendly to my friends
yes
no
He’s moody or has a short temper
yes
no
He never shows his feelings
yes
no
He has bad manners
yes
no
He never follows through on anything
yes
no
He has no hobbies, passions or interests
yes
no
His apartment is dirty and disgusting
yes
no
He’s a workaholic
yes
no
He’s lazy
yes
no
He parties too much
yes
no
He doesn’t get along with my family
yes
no

The guy who can make you laugh…
Has dry, sarcastic wit.
Is a goofy guy.
Delivers smart, socially relevant humor.
Has self-deprecating humor.

At a party, your ideal guy would be...
Standing in the center of a big crowd, making everyone laugh
Having an intense one-on-one conversation
Chatting with a few people, without trying to dominate the discussion
Hanging out in the corner, just taking in the scene

According to you, what is the best way for a guy to deal with his ex calling?
He should ignore her and never return the call.
He can return the call, but he should definitely mention me and ask her not to contact him again.
He can do whatever he wants, as long as he’s honest with me.

Which of the following do you consider cheating? Please choose one.
Almost anything--even just flirting
Flirting is fine, but he shouldn’t get any phone numbers
He can do whatever he wants, so long as there's no physical contact
Kissing is fine, but anything more than that, no way!
He can do anything physically, so long as it's only that. The emotional bond is what matters.

Guess what my answers were?

Um, no, I won't tell you.

Another friend, who volunteered to be my relationship coach (of course at this point he is irrelevant as the only relationships that I have, which resembled a romantic one, is that with my hair stylist to whom I have to be honest [about what I really want to happen to my hair], loyal [jumping from one stylist to another is not healthy] and unselfish [never be cheap in giving tips]. This friend told me to come up with a list of men whom I know, that possess the qualities of a potential significant other.

I did a quick mental survey of my guy friends/ acquaintance-- and umm... NOTE: guy friends, Please don't crucify me-- seeing them with platonic friendly eyes, I can't imagine putting them on my list moreso, asking God to reveal who among them is best for me.

Besides, in my grand scheme of things, I won't have to exert the slightest effort such as coming up with a freaking list-- prince charming will just fall on my lap and he will be tall, intelligent, faithful, funny, moneyed, with beautiful eyes and a nice smile.

(And my mom and my dad who are looking forward to improving our gene pool and seeing me settle down both said a resounding "AMEN, AMEN, AMEN." )

So for Shella, whose query "what are you looking for ba in a guy?" I answered with "i-e-email ko sa'yo" and to Dino, who wanted me to come up with a list, here's a sort of answer.

A list/pictionary of the men I love:




TIM YAP:

Eventologist, newspaper section editor, host, model
Partymeister. Hypercelebirty with seven digit endorsement deals.



extras:
Love the eyes, love the accent, love PDI's SUPER section.









BRYAN BOY
is so going to sue my ass in every legal court in the 3rd world if he finds out that I posted this photo on my blog.

BB is Le Fabuleux Superstar.

Love his style, love his ideas, love his creativity.

Now if only all straight men could be as funny and as interesting and could readily identify a fake gucci bag.







PIOLO PASCUAL.


Enough said.
















IPE CRUZ

Photo journalist.

Must. See. His. Book. Pictures of People.

Nephew of Josie Natori. (Yup, as in the Natori)



(I wonder if Tom Ford has a nephew as hot as this)











CHIZ ESCUDERO.

Fine, he doesn't look as good in person as he is in this picture. But you really have to give it to this guy who is currently the brightest young star of the opposition.

Brain. I'd kill for his brain.








(All Photos except that of BB are from the Oct'04 Manual Magazine)


***




Best adjective to describe this entry:

1. Shallow

2. Pathetic.

3. Crap

4. All of the above


1 comment:

Bikolanang Magayon said...

hi girl!

never mind if you think your blog entry is shallow....

it amuses me...

don't consider it whining or ranting...

it's just about you, speaking your mind (and heart)

...and I miss you

... i miss blogging (since my wedding!)

... i miss being in the comfort zone.

...AIM education is killing me twice when I died in UP!

... hope to see you sometime!

...and oh, never mind being single

...STAY FABULOUS toujours