Thursday, June 28, 2007

the world of pretend

with less than 48 hours before i say sayonara to UNDP's fostering democratic governance programme (and be officially added to this 3rd world archipelago's looooong list of unemployed butt wipes) i still have a coupla things left to do.

1. pack my CDs, files, books, lotions, and all the junk food that i have on my cubicle and drawers

2. compose an adieu email to the wicked and wonderful people that i've worked with in the past year (i am all giddy just thinking about this)

3. prepare for my interview with larry king, live on june 30. (6PM EST)







shameless plug


the people at CNN called me the other day and told me that good old larry chanced upon my blog and he wanted to talk to me about my sleeping disorder and how it leads to serious delusions of granduer.

off the top of my head, delusions of grandeur is not just a matter of not getting enough sleep. on my part, i think there's also not enough money, not enough time and my love is not around. (duncan sheik, 2003, yeah.)

so there, i have twenty million things to do in my soon to be ex-office today, but i got in rather late. really late. as in "my-boss-almost-kicked-my-ass" late.

and it's all because of a dude named karl.




no, not uncle karl.

i haven't spoken to him in like, eons because he has been very busy with his fall-winter 2007-2008 collection which will be available on july.

*****

i'm talking about karl "econometrics-is-common-sense" jandoc.what does he have to do with my being late today? a lot.

***'

at dinner yesterday, while we were being seated, karl asked the waiter to give us another chair.

"are we still expecting someone else to join us?" i asked.

"isn't anyone you know coming to join us?" karl asked back.

"ummm... none...." i answered.

"ha? wala? sigurado ka? bakit wala na naman, g.h.?" he asked.

(of course my record in the dating scene-- that is, the romantic fireworks die down even before you finish singing mary had a little lamb-- always, always prompted questions like this from my friends.)

i couldn't get pikon. the question was asked in a setting wherein karl was with his girlfriend giselle, sundy was with sarah, and i was with...umm... coach... my lovely coach bag.

so over puttanesca, pesto pasta and pizza, the five of us laughed and talked about relationships, a friend who recently got married, places we've been to and vacations that we plan to take. if my lovely bag could laugh, it would've joined us. but it just sat beside me, listening quietly.

***
when i got to my room, i just sat on my bed and thought of my friends' questions. i was trying to come up with answers, even if i was already too tired.

the digital display on my phone said it was 1:03 AM, before i slipped into lala land.

and then it happened.

***
i just came out of mango with my loot (at 50% off, the blouses were a steal) when someone called my name.

i didn't have to turn to see who it was. even in my dreams, he says my name right. (right emphasis, right pronunciation, right pause. [oh yes, my name maybe made of just two letters, but i have that thing about my name])

i did turn and he was standing in front of the lacoste shoe store. (i think we were in glorietta.)

the love of my life then started walking towards me and my shaking knees. (corny, but yeah, i think he is the love of my life. but then, i maybe wrong. but then again, whatever.)

i can only smile.

as the song goes: "the perfect words never crossed my mind cause there was nothing in there but you..."

then someone came into the picture. i have no idea who she is.

even in dreams, she was larger than life. and she had a lot of bling.

signal fire was changed to the theme of jaws.

i looked at my gummi bear with eyes saying: "please don't tell me that's your mom."

"g.h., meet my mom," he said.

the mom, who looked very chinese, she-must've-had-her-foot-binded-when-she-was-a-little-girl, smiled at me and asked if i spoke fookien.

my havaianas wanted to leave me behind and run as fast as they can.

"sorry, i'm not chinese." i answered.

but i loooove eng-bee-tin hopia, i wanted to say, but i just shut up.

the mom turned to my dude and started speaking in i don't know... mandarin, fookien, korean.... whatever, bottomline, i can't understand.

and they both started speaking to me in a language i do not know.

i walked away from them. without a word, without looking back. (oh this is so dejavu.)

***
then i woke up.

it was four o'clock in the freaking morning. i've only had three hours of sleep again. i was batting for at least five.

mother in law. geeez.... if there was anything that i dread most, other than telling my parents that they're right, i should've been a doctor instead of a dirtbag, it's meeting my boyfriend's mom--sisters--family for the first time.

on any given day, i'd rather detonate a bomb that is eight seconds away from exploding than meet my boyfriend's mom randomly for the first time.

you know this movie: Monster-in-Law, it really is an imitation of life. some moments of my life.




menopause vs. PMS


no, i do not hate the moms of my exes, in fact while i have forgotten their sons, i still remember them well.

it's just that, there's something about the mothers of the men that i dated that make me want to feign a heart attack when i'm with them, specially when they ask my all time dreaded question: "do you know how to cook?" which the sweating, fidgeting and stuttering me always answered with: "umm... no i don't. but i'm planning to learn how."

there was this line in the movie " the italian job" that got me laughing the other day. the line went: "i only know one thing in life. do not mess with mother nature, do not mess with your mother in law, do not mess with mother f**king ukranians."

he forgot to include the sister in law. oh gaad please, let's not even get into that.

***

so there, i was late for work this morning, because when i woke up at 4AM, i tried going back to sleep. it was already 7AM when i slipped back to lala land. by the time i woke up again at 8AM, my system was too upset, my head hurt like hell.

i woke up at 4AM because i had a monster in law moment in my dream. i had a monster in law moment in my dream because i was thinking of relationships before i slept. i was thinking of relationship before i slept because karl, not lagerfeld, asked me if there is anyone i know who was joining us for dinner.

there.

***
they have a term for this, i know.

not being mature.

No comments: